This blog now runs on an AMD Athlon based computer from the year 2000. The computer still works well so I decided to put it to work.
One of the pre-requisites is to have an always on broadband connection, and check with your broadband provider if they block any ports or frown upon using your home broadband connection to setup a web server (Some do). It was a days worth of work to set it up.
The high level steps are
* Procure a domain name
* Setup your domain name resolution
I use zoneedit.com for my name resolution
I redirect all traffic to <a href=”http://dbastreet.com”>http://dbastreet.com</a> to <a href=”http://ww2.dbastreet.com:8080″>http://ww2.dbastreet.com:8080</a> (Did not want to use the default 80 port which means that I need to run my http server as root).
* Install Ubuntu Linux (Hardy Heron) in desktop mode (You could install server mode too)
* Install Apache2
* Install MySql (Because wordpress requires this)
* Install Php (Because wordpress requires this)
* Install/configure WordPress
* Configure your router at home to allow http traffic to your wordpress server
* Setup a script to periodically update your ip address (Since your broadband provider changes it multiple times a day)
Thats it and happy blogging.
Update : Since I set this up, I have moved this to a hosting provider.